Thursday, November 17, 2011

Inspiration When Needed

I know this probably happens to a lot of people, but by the end of the semester I am definitely lacking motivation, dedication, and most importantly, inspiration. Thanksgiving is next week and then there's only a few weeks until winter break, and I'm sure that is the only thing on most peoples' minds. Lately I feel that I haven't really been where I'm at. When I say that, what I really mean is that I am physically in the places that I am, obviously, but my heart and mind haven't been fully there at the same time. I have been slacking at things that I was so dedicated to at the beginning of the semester, and today is exactly what I needed to remind me that I am where I am right now for a reason, and that I am in the right place.

The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication honors a journalist with the Award for Excellence in Journalism every year. This year's recipient was Christiane Amanpour, and today was the day she came to our school and received this award. At the beginning of the semester we were told that if we attended Must See Mondays, which is where every Monday our school hosts a speaker for us students to listen to, and the Cronkite Night at the Movies, and then blog about these events, we would have the opportunity to possibly attend the award luncheon. I knew I wanted to go from the very beginning, and I attended as many events as possible and blogged about them all to get the opportunity to go. This week I was so ecstatic when reading through my e-mails and I received one telling me I was chosen to attend the luncheon. A lot of students got to go, and I think that is awesome they give us this opportunity. 

Christiane Amanpour spoke to students this morning in the First Amendment Forum, and I loved listening to her stories about her career and the advice she has for all of us future journalists. She is such an intelligent woman, and today really reminded me why I chose this field to go into. Journalism can change peoples' lives for the better, and my biggest dream is to make a difference in someone's life and hopefully help make this world a better place. The free three course (amazing) meal was just an added bonus, but the real treat was getting to be in the presence of someone I admire so much. I am so thankful for all of these opportunities, and I finally feel back on track with my goal and my dreams, so thank you Christiane Amanpour and the Walter Cronkite School.

Maria and I at the luncheon.

Part of the luncheon... there were so many people.

Carrie and I at our table.
The food was delicious.

Christiane Amanpour on the big screen accepting her award.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when you leave me comments!